Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Swedish Meatballs (Kjøttkaker)


I was simultaneously intrigued and panicky when Darlene from Blazing Hot Wok announced the theme for the latest Regional Recipe Roundup. Scandinavian cuisine is something that I knew very little, nothing about, so coming up with something to submit would involve hours of research I initially thought.

But then I remembered some lovely meatballs I encountered at a International Food Evening while still at varsity a few years back and the memory brought a smile to my taste buds. Because those meatballs were gooooood. Despite my weirdness regarding berries in a mushy state (I won't even try to explain). Because the cranberry preserves complemented the tender meatballs in a creamy sauce perfectly. And who can argue with such a sublime combo?

Making these were super easy and the end result was just as good as I remembered. Perhaps even better, as I can now rest safe in the knowledge that I won't have to wait for another International Food Evening to taste these babies again. Come to Mama!

I'm submitting this to the Regional Recipe Round-up for October, hosted by Eats Well With Others and originally created by Blazing Hot Wok.

Swedish Meatballs (Kjøttkaker)

Adapted from Norway-Hei
Makes 36 balls (serves 4 - 6 people)

For meatballs:

1 tbsp butter
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
250g ground beef
225g lean ground pork
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup milk
a pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1 tsp grainy mustard
2 eggs

For sauce:

1/4 tsp minced garlic
2 1/2 tbsp butter
1 tsp tomato paste
1 cup beef stock
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
a pinch of dried dill

1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F)
2. Heat butter in a small saucepan and saute onion over medium heat until soft (a few minutes).
3. Mix ground meat in a large bowl with the rest of the ingredients for the meatballs (including the onions). Form into small balls and place on a baking tray (no nead to grease the tray). Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until nicely browned.
4. Meanwhile, make the sauce: Heat butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add garlic and tomato paste, cook for a minute, then add stock and simmer until slightly thickened and reduced. Add sourcream and stir nutmeg and dill through.
5. When meatballs are done, transfer to an ovenproof dish, pour sauce over and return to oven for another 15 - 20 minutes. Sauce will have thickened substantially.
6. Serve warm with boiled baby potatoes tossed in butter and a dollop of cranberry jelly.

Nutritional info (per serving): Calories 351.4, Total fat 25.3 g, Saturated fat 8.7 g, Polyunsaturated fat 1.0 g, Monounsaturated fat 6.8 g, Cholesterol 127.2 mg, Sodium 243.2 mg, Potassium 314.2 mg, Total carbohydrate 9.2 g, Dietary fiber 0.6 g, Sugars 1.6 g, Protein 21.2 g

Good source of: Vitamin B12 24.3 %, Selenium 24.2 %, Riboflavin 19.0 %

5 comments:

Karine on September 23, 2009 3:21 am said...

I love your meatballs! They sounds delicious!

Marisa on September 23, 2009 7:01 am said...

Thanks Karine, they really are!

Amber on October 01, 2009 6:25 pm said...

This reminds me of my childhood. Swedish meatballs were my favorite meal when I was a kid. Whenever my mother asked what I wanted for dinner the answer was always Swedish meatballs! Great post.

Marisa on October 02, 2009 8:33 am said...

Amber, I think these are going to become my new favourite way to eat meatballs as well!

Homemade Heaven on October 02, 2009 10:03 am said...

this is almost like meatball Stroganoff , looks really yummy.

Add something to the Pot:

Thank you for taking the time to read & comment. There's only one thing I love more than cooking (& eating) and that's feedback from you! Please note that there might be a slight delay before your comment appears.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

The Creative Pot © Marisa H 2006 - 2011 Adaption of Cookiez Template, designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template