Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Stroganoff with Pickled Cucumbers & Honey


Another delicious Scandinavian recipe, this time from my beloved author Tessa Kiros. I love that woman, I really do. The way she weaves magic with her words and recipes... well I think I'd better stop now or I'll get totally carried away!




Anyway, this is a stroganoff, like, according to Tessa, "my mother's friend Ritva" used to make it. Now, I don't know Ritva, but judging by this recipe I wish I did! I must admit I was at first a little bit skeptical of the honey listed as an ingredient, not to mention the 2 hour cooking time. Can you say "way-too-much-effort"? But it's not. You just pop it into the oven and then you sit back while the wonderful aromas envelop you. I tell you, I was drooling before the meat even left the oven. Needless to say, I wanted to slurp it up as soon as possible, but alas, I will have to wait for tomorrow lunchtime. Of course, I couldn't help myself, so I took a quick bite and let me just say - this Ritva lady sure knows what she's doing!

Lunch can't come quick enough...

I'm submitting this to the Regional Recipe Round-up for October, hosted by Eats Well With Others and originally created by Blazing Hot Wok.


Stroganoff with Pickled Cucumbers & Honey
Adapted from Falling Cloudberries (Tessa Kiros)

Serves 4

1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp butter
2 small onions, diced
800g lean chuck steak, cut into cubes
3 tbsp honey
salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp paprika
1 bayleaf
2 cups water
3 tbsp flour
120g pickled cucumbers, chopped
1/2 cup sour cream
250g dry tagliatelle

1. Heat oil and butter in a medium saucepan and saute onion until soft.
2. Add meat, cooking until browned on all sides.
3. Add honey, salt, pepper, paprika and bayleaf and transfer to an ovenproof dish. Pour water over, cover and bake for 2 hours at 180C.
4. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, keep aside.
5. Remove meat from oven, and mix flour to a paste with a ladleful or two of the meat's juices. Add to saucepan, along with meat. Add cucumbers and cook until slightly thickened. Stir sour cream through and serve atop a bed of tagliatelle.

Nutritional info (per serving): Calories 640.1, Total fat 22.1 g, Saturated fat 9.5 g, Polyunsaturated fat 0.9 g, Monounsaturated fat 8.4 g, Cholesterol 145.2 mg, Sodium 562.3 mg, Potassium 777.6 mg, Total carbohydrate 61.3 g, Dietary fiber 2.8 g, Sugars 15.2 g, Protein 48.3 g

Good source of: Vitamin B12 129.8 %, Zinc 80.6 %, Selenium 48.9 %, Vitamin B6 44.8 %, Phosphorus 41.5 %, Iron 29.2 %, Riboflavin 27.2 %, Niacin 24.9 %,

6 comments:

nina on October 01, 2009 1:13 pm said...

Why is it that just when I decide to eat a little healthier, everyone comes up with these delicious recipes. I love pastas and this is a wonderful addition to my pasta recipe collection!!!

Marisa on October 01, 2009 1:25 pm said...

I feel your pain Nina! Although I'm guilty as charged this time...

The Urban Baker on October 01, 2009 6:09 pm said...

sorry to leave a comment here, but I couldn't find your email address. For the Cappuccino Brownie recipe click on the word Cappuccino that is hopefully a different color! http://theurbanbaker.blogspot.com/2009/09/cappuccino-brownies.html
thanks for the comment! Susan

Homemade Heaven on October 02, 2009 8:40 am said...

Nina has it right, I have exactly the same problem. Every Monday I want to eat salad and then I visit blog land and everything falls apart! This dish looks wonderful.

Blend said...

I had found this recipe randomly one day while looking for stroganoff recipes, and hadn't been able to find your blog since! I've made this recipe a few times now, and it has replaced my standard stroganoff recipe. It's so darn delicious!!!

Anyway, I now have your blog in my favourites, so I look forward to getting all kinds of cooking ideas from you!

Marisa on March 03, 2010 6:27 am said...

So glad you enjoyed it Blend! Looking forward to seeing you around. :-)

Add something to the Pot:

Thank you for taking the time to read & comment. There's only one thing I love more than cooking (& eating) and that's feedback from you! Please note that there might be a slight delay before your comment appears.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

The Creative Pot © Marisa H 2006 - 2011 Adaption of Cookiez Template, designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template