Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Flamenco Eggs


I told you there were more Spanish recipes up my sleeve! Hopefully Darlene from Blazing Hot Wok won't think I'm spamming her when I send another one in for the Regional Recipe Roundup - Spain.




I had a craving for eggs yesterday (I seem to have this often recently - and no, it's not what you think!), so when I flipped through my cookbooks this recipe naturally caught my eye. And what's not to love? Chorizo? Mmmm. Red and greenpeppers? Oh yes. Eggs? Well, the craving has spoken darling. And crunchy garlicy migas to top it all off? Bring it on!

Flamenco Eggs

Serves 4

1 tbsp olive oil
2 chorizos (about 230g or 8 oz), cubed
1 large onion, diced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 medium red pepper, diced
1 medium green pepper, diced
3 large tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp sweet white wine or sherry
8 large eggs
3 tbsp chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste

For the migas:

1 tbsp olive oil
3 slices of bread (I used a seeded bread, but you can use anything really)
1 tsp minced garlic
salt to taste

1. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Fry chorizo's over high heat until browned and crispy.
2. Add onions and garlic and saute over medium heat until soft.
3. Add red and greenpeppers, tomatoes, wine and spices to the mix and cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat or until tomatoes starts to break down and sauce thickens.
4. Transfer to a square casserole dish (or use individual smaller dishes if you still happen to have a complete set...). Break eggs on top of the sausage mixture, piercing each yolk with a knife to break the film. Season again with salt and pepper and sprinkle parsley on top.
5. Bake at 180C for 8 - 10 minutes or until eggs are just set.
6. Meanwhile, make the migas: heat oil in a frying pan, add breadcrumbs and garlic and fry over high heat for a few minutes until golden brown. Season to taste. Sprinkle over the flamenco eggs as soon as you remove them from the oven and serve immediately.

Nutritional info (per serving): Calories 686.7, Total Fat 44.1 g, Saturated Fat 13.6 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 5.6 g, Monounsaturated Fat 20.9 g, Cholesterol 603.1 mg, Sodium 2,163.5 mg, Potassium 904.0 mg, Total Carbohydrate 36.9 g, Dietary Fiber 6.6 g, Sugars 0.1 g, Protein 35.3 g

Good source of: Vitamin C 589.7 %, Vitamin A 229.4 %, Selenium 95.3 %,Riboflavin 57.2 %, Vitamin B6 54.0 %, Manganese 51.1 %, Thiamin 44.7 %, Phosphorus 43.5 %, Vitamin B12 40.8 %, Folate 33.0 %, Zinc 28.5 %, Iron 28.0 %, Niacin 26.6 %, Pantothenic Acid 26.0 %, Vitamin E 20.8 %

7 comments:

Homemade Heaven on September 02, 2009 10:24 am said...

Lovely recipe and as for craving eggs - there is a theory that we often crave things we are allergic to? - doesn't make sense to me. I would only start worrying when you crave eggs with chocolate sauce, then you might have to check if you pregnant!

Marisa on September 02, 2009 10:26 am said...

Interesting theory - never heard of it! Although I'm sure I would've realised by now if I was allergic to eggs at the rate I've been eating it this past while.

Hahaha - no chocolate sauce on my eggs! Or pickles. ;-)

dp on September 02, 2009 5:50 pm said...

You can submit as many entries as you like :-)

This reminds me of a Moroccan dish I had, except it was a sausage made with lamb...so delicious! I'm sure there was a lot of culinary influence between the two

Unknown on September 02, 2009 8:45 pm said...

Your family is so lucky to have a cook like you. I'm straight but after looking at all that delious food I think I need a wife - ha-ha

Marisa on September 03, 2009 12:50 am said...

Darlene - the Moroccan dish you describe sounds pretty good! I'm a sucker for all things lamb.

Tracy - Thanks for the compliment. Although I'm convinced there's a cook lurking in each one of us!

Nina Timm on September 03, 2009 8:58 am said...

I love this recipe!!! We often had a similar dish as children, but I have never thought of giving it a Mexican twist!!!

Marisa on September 03, 2009 9:02 am said...

Thanks Nina - it's always nice when dishes bring back great childhood memories. Give this twist a try - I'm sure you'll like it!

Add something to the Pot:

Thank you for taking the time to read & comment. There's only one thing I love more than cooking (& eating) and that's feedback from you! Please note that there might be a slight delay before your comment appears.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

The Creative Pot © Marisa H 2006 - 2011 Adaption of Cookiez Template, designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template