Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sweet Potato Burritos

 
When I saw this recipe on Fitsugar, I thought it sounded pretty interesting, but what with our new resolution to shape up and tone up I knew I had to give it a go. It promises to be low in fat and low GI but still high on taste (no mean feat...) and it really delivers on that! 



As an added bonus it's also a great end-0f-the-month-money-is-low type of meal and for this I love it even more. I served mine with a dollop of salsa, a sprinkle of coriander and some sliced avo and cucumber salad on the side, which really complemented the meal quite nicely. 

This got the thumbs-up from TheHusband as well, who is normally a bit suspicious of my vegetarian fodder. He is a big meatlover (especially chicken) and lives in fear that I'll convert back to vegetarianism and doom him to the same "fate"!

Sweet Potato Burritos

Makes 6 burritos

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tins (400g each) kidney beans, drained
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 heaped teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon paprika
salt to taste
2 medium sweet potatoes
sweet chilli sauce
6 flour tortillas, warmed
1 1/2 - 2 cups grated gouda/cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Place sweet potato in a microwaveable bowl and microwave on high for 8 minutes until soft. Mash and add salt to taste.
3. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a frying pan and gently saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes, until soft. Add to food processor with half the kidney beans and water, and process to a smooth puree. Mash the rest of the kidney beans with a fork and return to the frying pan together with the bean puree. Add spices and cook for another 2 - 3 minutes until fragrant. Add salt to taste.
4. Smear a little bit of sweet chilli sauce on a tortilla, top with a spoonful of beans as well as a spoonful of sweet potatoes. Add some grated cheese on top and fold tortilla up like a burrito. Place in a ovenproof dish and repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
5. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes and serve with tomato salsa spooned on to the burritos and some sliced avocado on the side.
 
Nutritional info (per burrito): Calories 592.1 Total Fat 17.5 g Saturated Fat 6.8 g Polyunsaturated Fat 1.8 g Monounsaturated Fat 7.7 g Cholesterol 22.2 mg Sodium 1,378.6 mg Potassium 513.2 mg Total Carbohydrate 87.5 g Dietary Fiber 10.0 g Sugars 6.1 g Protein 20.2 g

7 comments:

Sherri on July 29, 2009 3:04 pm said...

Wow--who would have thought--sweet potatos in a burrito! I live in the desert Southwest on the border of Mexico, so I am for sure going to have to try this! I was a vegetarian once, too. I still don't eat beef or pork, but I do eat chicken and turkey. My family is the same way-if I go a few days without cooking any meat I am in trouble!

Marisa on July 29, 2009 3:08 pm said...

I was also quite surprised at the sweet potato in a burrito, but it's really good! Give it a go.

Anonymous said...

Oh MAN that looks delicious! I'm going to have to print that out!

-rachelgogan swapbot

Marisa on July 29, 2009 3:51 pm said...

Thanks Caitirin - glad you like it!

Angelina on July 29, 2009 10:24 pm said...

I LOVE to cook too!!! soooo glad swap-bot sent me here!!!! (I'm cinderella730 there)
these look GREAT!!!
we LOVE sweet potatoes!! and we love burritos.. we HAVE to try this!!!

Thanks for sharing your recipe!!

SillyCat~ on September 22, 2009 10:07 am said...

looks yummy~

Marisa on September 22, 2009 10:09 am said...

Thanks Angelina & SillyCat - burritos are so versatile, aren't they?

Add something to the Pot:

Thank you for taking the time to read & comment. There's only one thing I love more than cooking (& eating) and that's feedback from you! Please note that there might be a slight delay before your comment appears.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

The Creative Pot © Marisa H 2006 - 2011 Adaption of Cookiez Template, designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template